Sunday, March 06, 2005

Million Dollar Baby

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Beautiful Movie. Ten stars!

Hilary Swank totally deserved to be the Best Actress. She was so great (plus that western accent she had in the movie, superb!)

If you are a fan of movies with loads of lessons in life, this one's for you. But this time, life is compared to boxing.

Story of the film: Clint Eastwood, a bitter and sad man, was forced to train the determined Swank to be a real woman fighter. Swank may have seen herself as a trash but Eastwood and his friend Morgan Freeman, saw something in her that only a few possessed: A sheer determination to get what she wants no matter what it takes.

The film speaks of protecting one's self, of risks, of chances, of forgiveness, and of love. Very inspiring. It reminds me of the saying my sister used to recite every once in a while: that it'd be best to be a failure at something you enjoy rather than be a success at something you hate.

At least you had your shot... At least you were able to feel how to be there... At least you saw the world.

You gotta watch this one.

Check out the Million Dollar Baby site.

Some quotes from the movie:

1. "If there's magic in boxing is the magic of fighting battles beyond endurance, beyond cracked ribs, ruptured kidneys and detached retinas. It's the magic of risking everything for a dream that nobody sees but you."

2. "I'm 32, Mr. Dunn, and I'm here celebrating the fact that I spend another year scraping dishes and waitressing which is what I've been doing since 13, and according to you I'll be 37 before I can even throw a decent punch, which I have to work on this speed bag for a month God's simple truth. Other truth is, my brother's in prison, my sister cheats on welfare by pretending one of her babies is still alive, my daddies dead, and my momma weighs 312lbs. If I was thinking straight I'd go back home, find a used trailer, buy a deep fryer and some oreos, problem is this the only thing I ever felt good doing. If I'm too old for this then I got nothing. That enough truth to see to you?"

3. "Anybody can lose one fight, anybody can lose once, you'll come back from this you'll be champion of the world."

7 comments:

lengirl said...

i watched it last saturday and loved it!

swank is really a gem, freeman's acting commands respect with a capital R, while clint is a genius.

thanks for posting some quotes jans! i was wishing i had a recorder because there were a lot of great oines in that movie!

jajajanice! said...

yep Lennie gurl!!! MDB was really beautiful!!!

I will totally look for MDB DVD and watch it over and over and memorize all those lines!!! Hehe!

It's almost the same with The Shawshank Redemption. You should watch this one too. It had Freeman too in the movie!!!

Anonymous said...

I've watched that film sometimes in January, blimey.....i cried like mad. I am not surprise at all that she won as Best Actress.

jajajanice! said...

ey gurang, yep Million Dollar Baby is so damn great, although a bit sad, but i didnt mind! No doubt swank won.

jajajanice! said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jajajanice! said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jajajanice! said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.