Thursday, February 10, 2005

Props To You

I truly salute the power of media to be the great ‘modifier’. When I think about it, I can’t help but be in awe. Imagine life without TV. Look at how we are going to be without the radio, without the tabloids and the top daily broadsheets, or without the Internet? I cannot possibly see.

Can you survive? Because I sure can’t. And look at how media change our lifestyle, at how they affect our way of thinking. Look at its power to communicate with each and every one of us. I must admit that a fraction of who I am now is because of the columns I read in PDI or because of the movies and documentaries and teleseryes I watch on TV. I dress like this and love these songs because I saw all these on the net, on TV, and on print and I, well, happen to like them. Another simple example is the lingo/verbal expression we have in this time. Will we be able to use them in most of our sentences had we not watched or heard them somewhere? I don’t think so.

The emergence of media has brought fortunes, and successes and even failures and revolts to businesses, politicians, and to the entire society-- or like the great theorist, Laswell, said it, to the transmitters/senders of the message. And I am totally amazed at how a word, a gesture can actually modify the entire message the sender intend to communicate. The words we command and the way we put them together and the medium we use affect the entirety of the message.

And this is exactly why I love this industry. Mass media may have brought the worst in this world, but I don’t think nothing can ever beat the greatness it has given to us.
Props to you dude.

2 comments:

babyburn said...

hi janice!

know what? when i attended jim paredes' creativity seminar, our first task was to refrain from having any form of media for the next two weeks. would you believe? no tv, radio, print media, internet, everything. we called it the Media Deprivation Homework (MDH). I knew i wouldn't be able to survive even for a day. But for some reason while i was at it...it felt ...liberating. tipong ganito pala pag i have nothing else to get thoughts from but my self. it was quite an experience i tell you. why don't you try it? media really is both powerful and life-changing but it is sometimes healthy to hear what your crazy self has to say.

ciao,
burns

jajajanice! said...

Hi Berns!!!

Media Deprivation Homework? Hmmm... Sige, am gonna try that.. I think it would be so great to at least see the other side of the coin ;-)

TataH!