Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Omama



"Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs... since the payment is pure love." -- Mildred B. Vermont


It’s good to have my mom here in Manila. Para sa mga hindi nakakaalam, my mom and dad stay in Mindoro. So it’s only the four of us here in Manila and whenever folks are here, you can just imagine how noisier and wilder we are! Anyway, since my Lola is still in the hospital, my mom has to go here and take care of Lola. Ang saya lang kasi nandito si Mommy. Plus, I had quality breakfast this morning. Oma cooked sinangag and danggit. No one can cook sinangag like her!

And on a Tuesday? The four of us (make that five since oma is here) having breakfast together? Here, breakfast is the most taken for granted meal, especially on a weekday like today. It’s either we eat alone or do not eat at all. Everybody’s busy with his or her personal businesses on weekday mornings. Jay-R cleans the car or studies his lessons every morning and eats in front of the TV set. Ate Jo has to get ready for work. I think she only eats a piece of bread before leaving. Ate Je is either asleep or studying and eats breakfast last. While me, I seldom eat breakfast. But today is different. Oma is here and this means everybody must eat rice… together. It reminds me of the days when we all four were still ‘bagets’ in Mindoro. Every morning, Oma cooked breakfast and prepared our baons while Apapa was busy outside in the backyard.

And this morning, the smell of sinangag, and especially the sight of my mom sparked off something. I miss being a kid and I missed my mom.


No comments: